Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Calligraphic moment: traces of hand left behind


Suppose this. Wind playing a tune upon my tongue.

I am in full armor, all the time. Guarded by a shield of solitude. And if I let down the usual framing of the expected, the comfort of routine, the boundary I delineate intensely, with grace? If I lower the shield of this remorseless solitude and open my mouth, taste the inexplicable spice?

I hear the wind playing a tune upon my tongue. What I don’t know that I know comes to me. Like a kiss, suddenly given.

What speaks then?

The whirrings, drama and largess of the world. The tongueless voice that speaks for me, this text, speaks through me. Speaks me.

At the point of insertion I embed my most vital bits, chunks, in between these lines the exhaled spaces filled with secret lustful fullness of your evening shadowside and morning newness. Misted over the humid divide the purple flesh tinted with hues of silent melting. My wings. Apocryphal, stolen by time's ruthless pursuit.  And my hand, calligraphy bound, surrenders.

Written word moves in the rhythm of this hand from which it appears, she understands a silent storm of words, my hand, she is coming fast, bending around time itself. That’s how I steal time. A love letter to language. She, the hand, loves him.

But I, am I my hand?

As I write, there is a permanent shift. It leaves color splashed on my face. It opens me to otherness that surprises me, that calls to me, an otherness I couldn’t have imagined. I embrace this fullness, its inevitability, its is-ness. It ought to continue, I am a different body than I was, it is truly a change, a casting of a new shape, tracing of unknown textures, discovering new contours inside my skin. I split into a thousand bits of information, I brace myself against this infinitude and let go of synchrony, leave logos, abandon all caution, relinquish all meaningless farewells, eject rehearsed duty, discharge postural verticality and horizontal repose, undo the Gordian knot of possibility in a gentle slide into the bearing of previously unmeasured, unimaginable territory.

And my pencil becomes a supple lance between my fingers and I hurl it, words shoot across a page, line up like birds on a wire. Their necks swell with the air of this rainy day, the round b’s and g’s, a’s and w’s distend like the necks of songbirds, bulging just before they release a song into the sky. At this moment the atmosphere itself crowds the world with all my desires. And the day unfurls ahead of me along the deep furrows of time; now I draw my pen like a sword, it cuts the paper, small slits begin to drip blood on the white melting pellicule. Something dislodges and begins to travel, small clusters stirring. These are my thoughts clasped together with the feathers tangled in my hair. I detect a scent in the song of the birds, something I need to write down, firsthand. Which hand was the first that enabled my experience? Was it the hand that caressed first my skin, newborn? Or the hand that grasped firmly the crown of my head to ease me from the darkness of my mother’s body into this world? Or was it my hand from which I first tasted the protective fluids surrounding me? Was it my father’s hand that cupped my mother’s breast in the event that so by-the-way, off-handedly, started my engagement with this world, firsthand?

Firsthand, I expose my flesh, the one that will not be written on. This flesh is not a surface, it is meat in a bowl, it is under earth, still moist and seeping all that is before words, before I write it all down. I carve an ambiguous incision around the words, a dis-attached absence that secretes from and clings to the meaning, uncompromisingly empty yet full. In surrendering to everything, a sorceress and a hysteric, to the libidinal place between the self and the other of the text, I circumbscribe in a double entendre, a theoretical pas-de-deux, duality that overlaps, reverses irreversibly into multiplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment